Friday, September 08, 2006

What is Life?

I have come to the conclusion that most religions have a superiority complex. All the major monotheistic religions have it. And, Confusionism and Taoism have it. (you, too, Christians!)

Though most religions preach or teach modesty, they still hold themselves in very high esteem; why else would people participate in religion if they didn't?

Now, the only two religious groups that I know of that manage to quell the ego successfully are Unitarians, Buddhists, and possibly the third is Lutherans. All the others are engaged in a continual egofest -they believe they know.

I believe that I speak with some authority, being an agnostic and practicing Quaker. I've also taken a high school course in comparative religion. So, I would consider myself somewhat of a theologian, as well (my theology is not nearly as developed as some others'). So, I have a religious, spiritual, and also a secular background.

For instance, I believe in some Native American practices, and beliefs. I believe in the mystical.

I also believe, as I have been taught in my psychology class recently, that consciousness is very limited. Yet, it is all we have.

I believe in the limits of our knowledge and our own experience. I believe that our brain through what we call our minds is constantly playing tricks on us.

I may believe in the paranormal, or the soul, but, I am not convinced that I can know for sure. I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I try not to be an idealogue. There are many theories on life, and many ways to live, and I do not claim to know which of them is best. All I know is what I have tried to do and what I have done -and then of course there is the present, where things seem to me to be the most possible.

All the religious and secular tales could be mistaken, but, I tend to doubt it. Maybe I just want to believe.

Religious groups have a tremendous ability to transform experiences and create them, just as political ones do. Or in other words they tell you what is what. What to believe. And they make some people so certain. Others so powerful. And yet others are subjugated or made powerless.

So, my challenge is to transcend and transform. Ask those around me what they think is good and bad, right and wrong, and what I can learn from them or teach them. To listen and act accordingly. To as Paul Wellstone was known to say, "live the words I speak."To have charity for those less fortunate.

This is in the hope that we can come together and bridge our differences, and maybe even leave a better world to those that follow. So this is the message I leave thee (in not so true Quaker fashion). May we each find what we need.

-Peaches

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home